My Personal Blog - SeanandRuth.us

You can find my personal blog covering non-political topics at http://seanandruth.us

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Question: Can you RT on Facebook? Sort of...

Question:
"I'm trying to figure out how you basically do a "retweet" in facebook where you can get someone else's comments to repeat on your facebook page...can you explain how you did this?"

Example:

Ruth Carlson RT: @LouieGiglio Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will. -- AW Tozer



Short anwser:

1. copy [control + C] what you want to forward to your FB friends: "RT: @LouieGiglio Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will. -- AW Tozer"

2. type "thanks" and then "@" and then the name of your FB friend

3. paste [control + V] the content you want to share

Done--

thanks [@]RuthCarlson for sharing: RT: @LouieGiglio Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will. -- AW Tozer

Long anwser:


First, it's a bit confusing because some people like me have my twitter account set to automatically set my "tweets" as my FB status. So in for me, I'm not friends with @LouieGiglio on Facebook but I still post items that might seem like I'm trying to link to him.

You can use the "@" sign when you are friends with someone on Facebook to "link" your comment to their page. If use the "@," a autofill box will pop up when you start typing a friends name, and then your comment will show up on his or her page.

To your question, it's not possible to Retweet on FB. You can "share" [post on your page or email to a specific FB friend] items that are posted, but you can not "share" status updates like the one I did below.

Therefore, you must just copy & paste what you want to put in your post and manually link it using the "@" feature in FB.