My Personal Blog - SeanandRuth.us

You can find my personal blog covering non-political topics at http://seanandruth.us

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Why I'm not surprised Prop Y passed and plans for the future

MSD put up Prop Y in 2004 and 2008, and both of those passed by over 70%. This time the "Clean Water STL" group raised $385,000 to push a YES to get approval for MSD to issue bonds for sewer improvements.

With a complicated back story and money to frame the narrative as "if you want clean water vote YES," can I blame my neighbors for voting to spend an extra $945 million to finance the sewer improvements?

I'm frustrated, but I'm not giving up. There are many public agencies that need people "watching" to give the entire community more time to investigate and talk about issues before voting. For now, my plan is to figure out exactly how the MSD rate commission works, and why the Missouri Coalition for the Environment has both a seat on the rate commission and joined the suit with the EPA against MSD.

I also want to find a mail house, and figure out the cost of doing one mailer to all the April voters. I think mailing to all registered voters would be costly, but targeting only the April voters with information, in the future is key. The only info voters got was from the "Clean Water STL."

"The People" had no heads up.

But what's new?


No comments: