My Personal Blog - SeanandRuth.us

You can find my personal blog covering non-political topics at http://seanandruth.us

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

'march into hell for a heavenly cause'

I just started reading Sen. Jim DeMint's new book Saving Freedom. In the acknowledgments, Sen. DeMint thanks his "dedicated staff that God gave me in Congressional and Senate offices. Their youthful energy and optimism inspired me to keep fighting even when I knew I was beaten. Their commitment to American and belief in freedom gave me the courage to 'march into hell for a heaven cause.'" (emphasis mine.)

Well said--our fight is for a heaven cause, our sight is set on things unseen, our journey is hard, but the reward is great.

In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. - James Madison, The Federalist 51