My Personal Blog - SeanandRuth.us

You can find my personal blog covering non-political topics at http://seanandruth.us

Monday, October 12, 2009

needing perspective

I get bogged trying to figure out life. I'm on of those types that tries to "reduce the mystery of life manageable strategies and following them." Why can't it be that easy?

But this begs the question, where is my confidence: in myself to figure everything out or trust in the God who made it all?

"For those who enjoy discovery because they know a good God is moving through the chaos towards a wonderful conclusion, mystery is no problem."

You see, I want to have the complete plan, right now. I don't like the feeling that I'm "keeping busy" until I eventually marry or die.

Yes, I fall prey to what I call "singleness syndrome" common in Evangelical Christian circles where "marriage" is deemed by women "the solution" to all of life's problems. Funny how it didn't work that way for my parents or for most married people I know.

Ok, no, I really don't think the complete plan is marriage. ; )

But I don't like the idea of just finding things to do with my time to make myself feel like I'm moving forward. I want to put my hands to do those things that have eternal value.

What is it that I'm suppose to be doing with my time? (Note to self: marriage is not eternal.)

To know what to do, I feel I need to know where I'm going. What is all of history moving towards? (This assumes history moves forward, not backwards, and not in circles...)

John Piper expanded my perspective this afternoon when on how the regeneration of our souls is our hope for things to come. John Piper suggests, "the newness we have by virtue of our regeneration now is the firstfruits of the greater newness we will have when our bodies are made new as a part of the universe being made new."
19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. (Romans 8, ESV)
Lord, please give me a renewed perspective that isn't "me" focused. Amen.